Kitchen Before & After

Whenever David is gone I like to do home projects. So this time I did a little surprise one… It took me less than three hours after he left before I had completely ripped the kitchen apart. Our kitchen before was so dark and depressing. It was fun for a while having the chalkboard paint, but I wanted it to feel bright and happy!

Soooo dark!

After pulling the cabinets off the wall, it already felt SO much brighter!!

Time to get serious…

At this point I was about half way done. I had taken down the cabinets & micromave, put up bead boards on the wall where they used to be, put up the shelves, and primed the counters.

After!! So bright, and welcoming, I’m in love with my new kitchen. It went from the room I didn’t want to look at, to the spot when I spend most of my time. It was totally worth the hardwork, and paint in my hair for days.

So here’s what I did…

Started by taking down the cabinets adn microwave. I definitely recommend having someone help you with this. I was very determined, and managed to get them down myself but it could have easily gone bad.

Once the cabinets were down the gross old wallpaper was revealed. So I went to home depot and bought pre-painted wall panels that look like beadboard. We have this around the rest of our kitchen and I love it! It’s also soooo much easier than taking down wallpaper. I cut these with a circular saw and nailed them up. Next I used poly filler in all the cracks, sanded down the bumps and did a coat of paint on top.

Next the shelves went up. These shelves were actually left in the house by the last people that lived here, I found them in the back of a closet. I bought those brackets at Ikea for $6 each. I really love the exposed shelving look, and I was surprised that I actually didn’t loose that much space for storing dishes. Almost everything that was in the cabinets is on the shelves.

Then the counters! I really wanted to change the counters but wasn’t sure If I was going to able to without spending a lot. I went to Home Depot and asked the woman in the paint section for countertop paint, she talked to me like I was 5 and explained how you can’t paint a kitchen counter it’s not safe! So, I went home and did some research. I ended up painting them with a primer, then painting them with a generic interior paint that I got mixed at walmart. Then did a coat of the Rustoleum Stone Effects Countertop Epoxy. They turned out way better than I thought they would, they look like they were made that color!

Lastly I painted the cupboards, I just painted them all white to keep it looking bright!

The whole project took about 3 days and cost me about $200 (Minus the new fridge obviously)! Woo!! I already had the white paint, primer, shelves, and trim so that saved me some $$.

My original plan was to just get a new small stainless steel microwave that we would keep on the counter, because i was so done with that huge old white one. But after doing some research I decided to not replace the microwave, and so far I’m not missing it!

Comments

1. Mary
    March 31, 2013 / 12:35 pm

It looks so great! I have a question, where are those leggings or pants, whatever you are wearing the the tool belt picture, from? They are so cute!

2. March 31, 2013 / 12:48 pm

Umm this is incredible! I've literally looked over this post five times and cannot believe you did this yourself! The exposed shelves are gorgeous… I've always wanted something like that in my kitchen. Good for you for getting in there and doing this. I'm sure your hubby is going to love the new look when he gets back! Have fun on tour!

xx
    M

kitchen.closet.heart

3. March 31, 2013 / 12:48 pm

xx
    M

kitchen.closet.heart

4. March 31, 2013 / 3:10 pm

wow! that's awesome that you could do that all yourself. i'm jealous! and it turned out looking great! my friend and i are moving out together soon and we want our kitchen to have that blue/green color. perfect inspiration for us!

5. March 31, 2013 / 3:10 pm

6. March 31, 2013 / 3:11 pm

I'm so impressed! It really made a HUGE difference! I can't believe you did all of that by yourself!!! LOVE the finished look! Great job!

7. March 31, 2013 / 3:11 pm

8. March 31, 2013 / 4:34 pm

Oh man this is crazy! I could never imagine taking on a huge project like this. Kudos!
    So does that mean you don't have a microwave at all anymore?!

9. March 31, 2013 / 6:45 pm

it looks sooo good!! and i'm very impressed with your handiness 🙂

10. Gillian
    March 31, 2013 / 7:15 pm

The bread box and rug look so good!! And the kitchen looks so cute! Definitely your personality in kitchen form! 🙂 Love it.
    Gill

11. April 1, 2013 / 2:16 pm

ooooh my. the mint, the checkered floor, the shelves.
    you did such a good job. I wish we wernt renting so I could re do our kitchen!
    I'm just going to have to be creative now.

12. Carlyn
    April 3, 2013 / 4:41 pm

Wow! Amazing change! You are so brave painting your counters 🙂

13. April 9, 2013 / 7:29 pm

I can't believe you took down those cabinets by yourself! That is AMAZING! The new look is so bright and spacious. Nice work!

14. April 9, 2013 / 7:29 pm

15. pippiepower@hotmail.com
    April 24, 2013 / 8:30 pm

You did an awesome job, and all by yourself! Would you share the paint colour you used on the countertops? It's amazing and would be perfect to brighten up our nasty old bathroom countertop!
    Cheers!

-T

16. pippiepower@hotmail.com
    April 24, 2013 / 8:30 pm

Cheers!

-T

17. christinasmithrocks@gmail.com
    December 12, 2013 / 2:29 pm

Bethany, how are the counter tops holding up? Beautiful work!

18. christinasmithrocks@gmail.com
    December 12, 2013 / 2:29 pm

Bethany, how are the counter tops holding up? Beautiful work!

19. twiggleberry@comcast.net
    December 30, 2014 / 10:42 am

It's light and bright.. amazing how much more airy it is with upper cabinets gone. What did you use to paint the cabinets?
    Also wondering, is your kitchen island (stainless) from Ikea? It's very nice.. !! Thanks 🙂

20. twiggleberry@comcast.net