Choosing our babies names

I loveeeee names. I’ve had an on going list of names in my phone since I was twelve, I was so excited to get to name my first child. Having children with somewhat unique baby names we’ve been asked about their names a lot, so here’s where they call came from.

The name Poppy was added to my list before I was pregnant for the first time, I think it probably came into my mind after seeing Poppy Delevingne. She was the only person named Poppy I had heard of at the time. I loved it, the perfect in between of being unique but still a “real” name. Although Poppy was actually my second choice (although I of course love it!)… I wont tell you my first choice because I’ll be jealous if you use it πŸ˜‰ haha, David couldn’t get on board with it. But he loved Poppy so we went with that. Her middle name, Darling, we got from my Dad. Don’t worry my Dad isn’t named Darling. He was at the barbershop and the guy cutting his hair said that his wife was pregnant he was trying to convince her to name the baby Darling, I loved it so much, I stole it! So if your husband is a trendy barber in Vancouver and your daughter is named Darling, I’m sorry, we copied you. So no, Poppy’s name doesn’t have any meaning I just loved the names.

But oh boy have I gotten my share of comments. “Did you let her name herself?!”, “Oh wow, well what’s her middle name?”, “Well at least it’s not Jumpy”. Yup, exactly what we thought, lets name our daughter Poppy because at least it’s not Jumpy! Haha I always surprised the things people find appropriate to say.

Goldie’s name was inspired by Goldie Hawn. We weren’t naming her afterΒ Goldie Hawn but that was definitely the only place we had heard that name. I always thought if I changed my name to anything it would be Goldie, so the closest I could get was giving the name to my daughter. David was a realllly hard sell on this one. I was trying to convince him of it the whole pregnancy without any luck and finally when I was in the hospital in labour for FIVE DAYS the nurses asked what we were going to name her and he finally gave in to his poor wife laying in the hospital bed. And giving the circumstances I can’t imagine a better name for our little girl in Heaven. There is something angelic about the name Goldie, and with her middle name being Bloom it give the imagery of Golden Flowers which has been a since symbol that will always be attached to remembering Goldie for us.

SkipperΒ was the boy name that we had chosen when I was pregnant the first time with Poppy before we found out the gender. I’m so glad that I ended up having my baby boy because since we had this boy name for 4 years I kind of felt like we would have been missing a person without ever having our Skipper that we had imagined from when I was first pregnant. We like that it is unique but can be shortened to Skip for a more “normal” name. I was googling why so many men have the nickname Skip and it actually originally was a nickname for men named after their grandfathers, meaning that the name skipped a generation. His middle name, Augustine, is named after St. Augustine of Hippo. An early Christian theologian who had a large influence on Western Christianity. We call him Gus as a nickname.

With Skipper we get asked if that’s his real name, and when most hear his name they say “Skipper!” with a bit of a friendly chuckle, which I don’t mind. We’ve definitely learned to be confident in our name choices and not care about the reactions. That’s also why we didn’t tell anyone our baby names before they were born. Because without a cute new baby to comment on people are just giving you a reaction on the name. But if you introduce them to the name for the first time with the baby even if they hate the name the can at least comment on how precious the baby is!

Tell me your baby names or the ones on your list!

1. Marie
    June 13, 2017 / 12:24 am

Poppy is very common and well liked here in the UK 😊

2. Rebecka
    June 13, 2017 / 1:54 am

I love all three names! I would love to steal the name Skipper if I were living in an English speaking country, although naming a boy Skipper here in Sweden would sound a bit weird. I have a lot of names that would work internationally but not in Swedish, Lori is a name that I always imagined naming my daughter if I lived in another country, although the pronunciation would be wrong here in Sweden which is too bad…

Although I have some names that would work both in Swedish as well as internationally that I hope to someday name my future kids. If I have a girl, I love the names Evyn, Corinne, Lilly or Livia. When it comes to boys, my favourite names are Elliot, Charlie, Gillis and Alexis. But my number one favourite name for a boy is Love, which in Sweden is not pronounced like the English word love, although I like the fact that it has the same meaning in spelling. Whah, I realise I’m going to have a hard time choosing names when it all comes down to it some day, haha… Thank you for your lovely blog. // A Swedish reader who has been following you even before your pregnancy with Goldie.

• Janice
      June 16, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Ooh how lovely, how is Love pronounced in Swedish? I’m Irish and my 5 month old is Sadhbh, pronounced Syve, I have heard that there is a Swedish equivalent- Siv is this right?!

3. Nicole Forrest
    June 13, 2017 / 1:56 am

We have a 2 year old boy – Isaiah Jude and an 11 week old girl – Elsie Scout. People always think they are pretty unusual but we love them. My husband wouldn’t let me have Scout as a first name so it became a middle! Love all your baby names x

• Elise
      June 13, 2017 / 8:24 am

We have a 2 year old boy named Jude Isaiah!! How funny!

We also have an almost 3 month old girl named Odelia (Oh-deal-ee-ah) June, we call her Odie for short. Odelia is Hebrew for “I will praise the Lord.”

4. Bek
    June 13, 2017 / 7:06 am

I looooovvveee names too!! I would have a million babies just to name them, if I could 😜 We have three girls – Olive Elia, Mila Belle and Quinn Maisie… we chose all their names just cos we liked them (although ‘Elia’ was chosen cos it means ‘the Lord is my God ‘in Hebrew and we loved having that as part of Olive’s name! It’s actually a Hebrew boys name ☺️)
    I desperately wanted to name one of our girls ‘Briar’, but my husband wouldn’t do it! Hah! Oh there’s so many other names I love – ‘August’ is top of my list at the moment!

Love your names Bethany, I can’t understand why you’d get adverse reactions to them! They’re beautiful names!

5. Brooke
    June 13, 2017 / 7:27 am

I loveee names, too. I just had my first baby, a boy, in February. I also received a lot of comments from people when we announced his name, Rowe. I’ve never met anyone else named Rowe, and I love it. It amazed me how others thought we needed their approval/disapproval. Haha. I love unique baby names.

6. Lauren
    June 13, 2017 / 7:31 am

I love names too! We don’t have any little ones yet, but I’ve always dreamed of naming a future little girl Poppy – it holds particular significance with my husband and I. Poppies were the first flowers he bought me, and still his go-to!

I love traditional names with cute, catchy nicknames too. Charlotte for a girl, but Charli for short, or Abigail shortened to Abi πŸ™‚

• Aspen Courtney
      September 21, 2017 / 12:11 pm

My flower girl’s name is Charlotte Abigail, how funny! She goes by Charley for short πŸ™‚

7. Caitlin Moore
    June 13, 2017 / 7:34 am

Our son was always going to be Kayden, we had settled on that years before we got pregnant. Although I did try to sell my husband on switching it up to Kannon (no luck). Our daughter was suppose to be Whitley faith but everyone always said “Whitney” and after two weeks of constant correcting, we switched it up. With her new name, we didn’t announce it till she was born. So now she is McKinley, but we all use the nickname Mickey. Sometimes I wish we woulda stuck it out and staid with Whitley, but now can’t imagine her being anything other than Micks

8. June 13, 2017 / 7:37 am

Oh love the post and can totally relate to the ‘honest’ part with our little boys being named Phoenix James Elliott and Indy Jude Roman.. Names are so personal and a name is always so heavily loaded with association but all that matters in the end is the person inhabiting it.. xx

9. June 13, 2017 / 7:37 am

I have had a list of names on my phone forever as well! even though I don’t see another baby in our future, I still add names ‘just in case’ πŸ˜‰

unique names are my jam and I think your name choices are rad πŸ™‚

our little boy’s name is Navy and his middle name is Joe. We have always loved the name Indigo but here in LA, it’s actually a common name. so taking our love of the color blue, we came to Navy which we haven’t heard being another child’s yet! Joe comes from my husbands name being Joe, its tradition in his family that the baby boy’s middle name be the fathers first name which is perfect, no having to come up with another name!

10. Caitlin Moore
    June 13, 2017 / 7:39 am

Our son was always going to be Kayden, years before we were even pregnant. I briefly tried to sell my husband on that name Kannon but no luck. Our daughter was suppose to be Whitley faith but after a couple weeks of correcting everyone saying “Whitney” we switched it and didn’t announce her new name till she was born. Sometimes I wish we woulda stuck it out with Whitley but now I can’t imagine her being anything other than our McKinley, or Mickey.

11. Adrienne
    June 13, 2017 / 7:40 am

We have two girls- Grace Caroline & Claire Cosette. Cosette coming from my husbands and my love for the play Les Miserables. You can probably tell we lean towards super traditional names πŸ™‚

12. Bethany Sneary
    June 13, 2017 / 7:47 am

I love, love, love unique baby names and I’m happy my husband shares the same liking for them. I’m originally from Southern California and I always appreciated the diversity amongst names growing up. When I moved to Utah in ’09, I quickly learned that people think they can make up the English language and create absurd names for their poor children. It has created even more of a desire to give my babies special names. I have a ten month old girl, Gwen Michelle. It’s not short for Gwendolyn or Gwennety although I’m a fan of Gwenneth, we just fell in love with Gwen. Michelle is my mom’s name. My husband feels strongly that our next will be a girl (he has a scary-accurate intuition) and her name is already June Remington. Remington is my husband’s Mom’s maiden name and June was going to be Gwen’s name so it’s just always been high on the list. I love your babies’ names. Names are what make us strong.

13. Leighanne
    June 13, 2017 / 7:49 am

My sons name is Parish Lee, my husband actually suggested Parish and Lee is after his father and my grandfather who had the same middle name! If we had another boy I’d go with Ira Hayes!

14. Mollie Glasgow
    June 13, 2017 / 7:52 am

We have Willow, Wren, Fox, and Pippa. We have gotten all the comments and crazy looks but we wouldn’t change their names for anything! They fit our children perfectly!

15. Anna
    June 13, 2017 / 7:54 am

Our baby boy is named Moses after my husband’s late Grandma Moses. We couldn’t agree on a boy name for the longest time and finally on a road trip it popped into his head. Having a namesake was important to us and although it’s a little old fashioned, er, Old Testament, I couldn’t imagine calling him anything else πŸ™‚ after we chose the name I realized that was the name of Gweneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s son. I honestly didn’t know that beforehand and then I felt cool haha!

• June 13, 2017 / 12:12 pm

Our boy is moses too! We also couldn’t agree on a name either and when my husband suggested it and I loved it, we were sold!

16. Taylor
    June 13, 2017 / 7:55 am

I have a Sawyer (girl) Flynn (boy) and Lennie (girl) I love names, too!

17. Jordan Moore
    June 13, 2017 / 8:06 am

I loooooovee your baby names! Seriously! My husband loves the name skipper and I just love poppy and Goldie- all just such sweet sweet names.

My husband and I have a lonnnng ongoing list ! But our top choices are Hudson and Bear (needtobreathe all the way!) for boy names… and Paisley and Emerson for girl names ! Miiiightt get an ear full about Bear…ha!

• Bryn-Ellyn
      June 13, 2017 / 9:20 am

I have a friend who named her son Behr if the spelling might save you some grief! Lol.

18. Crystal
    June 13, 2017 / 8:08 am

Love the names! Crazy how babes can match a kids personality so perfectly. My little girl is Penelope but we call her Poppy for short!

19. Meagan
    June 13, 2017 / 8:22 am

I love names too. We have 3 kids, our son has a normal name, named after his dad and my dad. Jacob Christopher. My first daughter just turned 6 and I don’t remember how we picked her name, but we fell in love with the name Harper. Thinking it would be unique, but now it’s one of the most popular girl names, which still bums me out, lol. My babes name is freyja (pronounced fray-a) rain. It’s my favorite name. I saw the name freyja in the credits of some show I was watching, spelled without the j. So i looked it up and original Nordic name is spelled with a j. We didn’t find out what we were having with our third so we didn’t name her til she came out. Rain happens to be my favorite weather, but my husband wouldn’t go for it as a first name. We settled on it as a middle. I love all your kids names. They all sound like happy ones. I love your posts! Thanks for sharing! – Meagan

20. Janelle
    June 13, 2017 / 8:28 am

Our kiddos are Judah Hawk, Zamaya Skye and Aria Spring. We went a little hippie on a middle names but I love them all, even though we get a lot of funny looks and laughs πŸ˜‰

21. Kristen
    June 13, 2017 / 8:30 am

Such beautiful names!! We have a four month old named Oaklin James!

22. Raelene John
    June 13, 2017 / 8:36 am

Our son got his name 7 years before he was born. Josiah said “if I ever have a boy, I want to name him Damian.”

And there we go, his middle name Rolando after Josiah’s middle name!

People really hated it because they said Damian was the son of the devil πŸ™„ We stuck with the name we dreamt about and I am so glad we didn’t let anybody else’s opinion get us down!

23. Hannah
    June 13, 2017 / 8:40 am

We named our two boys Atticus Fox (yes like Finch and yes like the animal. Haha) and Gideon Oak (yes, like the tree…). I agree, it is fascinating to see what people say and think is appropriate to say to a Mother about her children’s names! I LOVE your name choices, they are so wonderful.

• Vero
      June 13, 2017 / 11:04 am

Love the name Atticus, but unfortunately our last name is Finch and I just couldn’t do it!

24. Lauren Rehbein
    June 13, 2017 / 8:49 am

I love the idea of having unique names, but not so unique that people are just completely confused. I’ve had a running, ever-evolving list of baby names for years. My husband and I have yet to have children, but our top two boy and girl names are Ford and Faye. I love the traditional, yet uncommon name of Ford. Faye, I fell in love with after watching the gorgeous Liv Tyler play Faye in the movie “That Thing You Do.” It took a lot of convincing my husband on that one. First we had it as a middle name, but I finally convinced him to have it as a first name. He now loves it. We also don’t have a think for names that begin with “F.” Our other two names are completely different. The only quirk about our name choices is that they are all one syllables. Just a personal choice I made.

• Lauren
      June 13, 2017 / 9:42 am

I like Forde with an E to give it a little nature feel

25. June 13, 2017 / 9:01 am

Love your baby’s names. Poppy has always been a favourite of mine and my heart melted for Goldie Bloom and Skipper. They all suit your family so much.

Names are so fun and I’m always writing them down. I have two girls, Avery and Lennon.

Avery is from Gossip Girl, the books not the show and Lennon is after John Lennon, kind of. Avery loves Here comes the Sun by the Beattles and when we at our ultrasound, 3 songs of theirs played and I just think its such a cool name so that was that.

Thanks for sharing. Love your blog!

26. Julianna
    June 13, 2017 / 9:05 am

I absolutely adore your name choices! They are unique and quirky but still very easy to pronounce and understand, and they go very well together!

I’m not planning on having kids in a longggg time but of course sometimes I play with the idea of how I would name my kids. Since I’m Finnish and (at least currently) living in Finland, the name should be easy to pronounce for a Finn but at the same time, I want it to be internationally “easy”.

I love the Finnish name Villa (girl)! Villa means “wool” in Finnish, so that’s pretty cute. It’s definitely not a common name here, I don’t know anyone with that name. I do know the English meaning for the word villa, but I don’t see a problem with that haha.

27. Paule
    June 13, 2017 / 9:07 am

I love all of your name choices, very poetic and visual but with a fun lightness!
    Our kids are names Estelle Ursa, and Rufus Arno. We get a lot of comments on Rufus being a dog’s name. And also always asking if he’s named after Rufus Wainright. Nop, but thanks for asking hah!!! People always have rude opinions and no manors, if it’s not on the name they’ll comment on something else. A lot people ask me if my daughter is asian, or how come she looks asian if we are not, and i find that super rude and sort of racist??

28. June 13, 2017 / 9:44 am

Definitely have a list of names I’m gonna name my children in the distant future…. πŸ˜‰

29. Laura Beth
    June 13, 2017 / 9:45 am

I too had a list from when I was in my teens, but made the mistake of talking about the names with my first real boyfriend. When it came time to actually have a baby with my husband, it didn’t feel right to consider those names (which were Peyton for a girl and Paxton for a boy).

I made the mistake of telling people our name choices throughout my pregnancy. It was either going to be Charlie or Parker, only because I love using boy names for girls. People would say “oh, I don’t like (one of the names), I like (their choice)!” I’m thinking… are you having this baby, or am I!?

When we finally had our baby girl in front of us, we knew she wasn’t either of those. So we named her Arizona Kathrine, after our favorite place in the world. Something about the sunsets, and the fact that we fell in love there… it’s magical, and very spiritual for us. Kathrine is after both of our moms, Kathleen and Cathrine (we combined the two so not to hurt anyone’s feelings)!

We love her name. We know it isn’t super conventional but it is perfect for our daughter.

30. Emily Sabio
    June 13, 2017 / 10:02 am

My husband and I are anxiously awaiting our baby girl in early November. We decided on the name, Noah Grace. And we absolutely love it.
    We tend to get an earful about giving her a “boys name” but we love it and are sticking it.

31. Ilene Flores
    June 13, 2017 / 10:05 am

My sons name is Ten. My husband picked it out and even wanted it to be spelled 10 which is legal here in IL. Through the whole pregnancy I tried other names but he did not like any. Once we got to the hospital he said if we do have a boy I can name him whatever I chose and he would be fine with that. So my handsome little dude came into this world and I looked at him and I knew his name had to be Ten. We compromised on the spelling by actually spelling it out and not using the numbers. I did prepare our friends and family during my pregnancy that the names we were going to choose whether we had a boy or girl were going to be different yet some really didn’t care for our choice. But in our hearts and souls my husband and I knew that his name was meant to be Ten.

32. Vanessa K
    June 13, 2017 / 10:12 am

I love all your babies names! Especially Poppy! We have a Poppy too! Poppy Everly and Penelope Eyla xx

33. Liz
    June 13, 2017 / 10:15 am

I adore your children’s names and your blog/instagram ❀️We have an August Jay and Finn Edward if we ever have a third either Welles for a boy and Olive for a girl but don’t know if I am ready for that third kid territory!

34. June 13, 2017 / 10:20 am

My son’s name is Ira Gray and I love it! It took us a while to fully pick it out but God made it so clear that was his name and it suits him and his character perfectly. Now I’m pregnant with another boy and picking boy names is hard! We have one on the list I think but we will see. I have all my girl names picked out so someday hopefully I will get to name girls as well.

35. Molly
    June 13, 2017 / 10:23 am

We have an Isla, Maverick, and Hazel. I love your names. If Hazel was a boy, we were thinking of a way to name a boy so we could call him “Gus” ❀️

36. Kir
    June 13, 2017 / 10:31 am

I love the Swedish girl’s name Saga but I think it would be a hard sell here. Oh, my list is never-ending. I just counted, there are 220 names on it!!!! Our other choices for Casper during my pregnancy were Arlo and Shiloh. I still really like Shiloh and reserve it in my mind if we have another boy. And I really like Linus, but someone I am semi-friends with on instagram has a Linus and a Casper, so that’s out unless I want to look like I’m totally copying her.

• June 17, 2017 / 9:08 pm

Linus was also on our list. I had never heard it before (besides Charlie Brown) and I thought it would be totally unique.
      One thing we really wanted to avoid when we were naming Malcolm was having it be the next big trending name, but I guess thats hard to avoid, especially with a January baby… We’ll see. We picked Malcolm because it was a classic name that has roots in our family, but it didn’t seem to be trending this year. I think it may have been more popular about 5 years back.
      We also liked some more German names but found they didn’t quite flow well with our super British last name…
      Malcolm’s middle name is Terence after my dad. He looked just like him right after he was born.
      The comments we’ve gotten about his name have all been very positive, but I wonder what people would have said if we had chosen something less traditional…

37. Justine Mckenzie
    June 13, 2017 / 10:32 am

Boaz. Bo for short. I always get asked if its spelt “Beau” when someone hears me say Bo. Then when I say “no just B-O” I always get a smirk. Then if I try and explain Boaz I either get a look of a bewilderment or a “so your a Christian?” reaction. lol.

I like the country twang vibe Bo has.

My girl name is also on secret lock down cause I’ll be jealous if I ever see it used. I’ve yet to ever see it on a baby list and I’ve never heard of anyone with the name. Closest I’ve seen is it listed on a roll of credits for a TV show.

I’m pregnant again and I’m at a loss for a baby boy #2 name. (Im not finding out the gender though) I’ve got a phone list that I’ve been collecting for 10 years but I’m not sure which one to use.

• Beka
      June 13, 2017 / 6:46 pm

What’s bo’s middle name. I love the name Bo!

38. Claudia From
    June 13, 2017 / 10:49 am

I loooove your choice of names. Especially Goldie Bloom, soo adorable.

I have a girl Lily Marie and is expecting another girl come fall.
    I’m crazy about the name Poppy, absolutely love the spelling – but it’s pronounced diferent in danish, i’m from Denmark, and my husband’s mostly into traditional names, which is sad.
    I think we’ll end up with Caroline Ellie, which is quite cute as well – but i totally love your choices.

39. Kristin
    June 13, 2017 / 11:27 am

I love all your babies names! So cute!
    I have a 3.5 year old daughter named Paisley Elizabeth Rose and a 3 month old baby boy named Tripp Daniel. We’ve had our fair share of mixed reactions to their names, specifically our sons…. it’s a good thing I just don’t care what other people think! Haha

40. June 13, 2017 / 12:26 pm

I never thought about names before I got pregnant, and had such a hard time settling on the names we chose. My husband and I really love old, traditional names. Our sons name is Egidio (Edge-ee-dio) and almost everyone says Ed-ee-geo the first three times they try to repeat it lol I don’t know why everyone is all of a sudden dyslexic lol We call him Gio or Gidio for short. It’s an old Southern Italian name. Our three week old daughter is Verona, after the Italian “City of Love.” There was something sweet and strong about the name of the city plus we felt it complimented our sons name which was the hardest part lol

I don’t have a list of other names I like, but usually if a name is old and uncommon, I’ll probably like it ❀️

41. Emily
    June 13, 2017 / 1:08 pm

I love the names you have cbosen! Though I think telling people beforehand is helpful. I wanted to name my daughter Ana and my husband said “everyone so think of Frozen” and I told him that was silly. And then every person I told that I was thinking of Ana said “oh like Frozen?”. If it drove me nuts before my child was born, I couldnt imagine what it would be like once she was here (and I will add that I am a red head, so it would be worse if she was a red head too) So we settled on Ava.

42. Tracie
    June 13, 2017 / 1:18 pm

My little lady is Skyler Lyn.
    When my hubs and I found out we were pregnant we never really talked about names..although I had a list going. I grew up knowing a Skyler and always loved the name so it was on the top of my list. I came home one day and he said I finally heard a name today that I really like and would consider. Skyler. WE HAD NEVER TALKED ABOUT THE NAME. It was meant to be, no doubt.
    Middle name from her grandma’s. Marlyn and Linda…Lyn.
    I’ve always loved your babies names!

43. Emma
    June 13, 2017 / 2:35 pm

I have a 3 year old Hendrix and a 7 month old Indiana. But for our next kid if it’s a girl I want to name her Scout and if it’s a boy Apollo

44. Stacey
    June 13, 2017 / 3:00 pm

I adore your babies names, especially Poppy. I would love to call my daughter Poppy but my husband isn’t one board. I’ve followed your story since you had beautiful Goldie and have admired your strength and love for your family so much. I truly think your babes have perfect names πŸ™‚

45. Marriah
    June 13, 2017 / 3:49 pm

I have been dreaming/planning baby names since I was fourteen too! I also keep a list on my phone so it was so crazy to see that other people do too!!

As far as names go, I think I go for less out-there first names with non-traditional middle names for girls, and the opposite for boys. Or maybe the boys have odd first and middle names. I’m honestly not sure anymore. All I know is I love them!

Girls: Harlow Shay, Georgie Bliss, Zoey Roo, Willa Peony, Ingrid Lune, James Wren.

Boys: August (Auggie) Presh, Atlas Croix, Cove Buddy, Rome LeRoy.

Note* All of the boy middle names are inspired by people or places in my life.

46. April
    June 13, 2017 / 3:54 pm

I have always loved names too! I have a fifteen year old named Nadia Jewel..I was obsessed with jewel during her pieces of you era. A twelve year old boy named Declan Elias…this was before declan was semi popular, for real. I got it from a Damien rice album. My other choices were Soren or Teague. I still love Soren. Our last little peanut just turned two and her name is Selah Ayelet. Pronounced say-luh eye-a-let
    This one has the most meaning to us, as it is all Hebrew, and we are converting to Judaism. Selah(from psalms) is a musical term which means to pause and reflect on something meaningful…which with our new life change, God certainly gave us pause and reflection. Ayelet means “doe or gazelle”…i thought it sounded pretty and it was a compromise of Isla and Violet…both of which I love, but are slightly too popular.
    I love your kiddos names. Suuuuuper cute πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

47. Khali
    June 13, 2017 / 5:12 pm

I have had a baby name list since I was twelve also. I’ve always kept it secret. I’m afraid of scaring off boys or my mother getting too excited. lol. But I just love names, so I collect them. For a girl I’ve always loved Nessa, Aisling, and Elspeth. For a boy, Max, Ezra, and Captain.

48. Christina
    June 13, 2017 / 5:55 pm

I love your names! I’m due with a girl in August and considering Poppy as a nickname for Penelope Olive (last name starts with P, so initials POP).

My daughter’s name is Audrey Elizabeth and my son’s name is Isaac Seth. I’d like to give the third baby something unique, but not over the top unique. I just think Poppy is so cute.

49. Susana
    June 13, 2017 / 6:56 pm

My babes names are Spencer Snow & Morrissey. Growing up I was also obsessed with names and even would come up with some for my future babies. I’m so grateful to have married a man who also has a love for unique names that aren’t too crazy but just right . I love all of your kids names although I will admit it did take me a minute to warm up to Goldie bloom however it’s become my favorite and dream of stealing Goldie (my hubs is reluctant to hop on boardπŸ˜‚). P. S. I can’t walk past a single sunflower or yellow daisy without remembering Goldie, she is in my heart forever.
    P. S. S I went on a hike today (so cal) & saw the most beautiful wild yellow Daisy’s and thought of herπŸ’ž

50. Cole Everi
    June 14, 2017 / 12:12 am

Glad you stuck with what you both felt were the perfect names meant for your children! They’re absolutely adorable!

My husband and I did the same! We currently have two baby girls (they’re Irish twins!), Spencer Justine Everly and Margot Xander.

Love your blog! God bless! xxoo

51. Roberta
    June 14, 2017 / 3:00 am

People are so vocal about anything related to kids aren’t they! I loooove your name choices and too have had a running name list in my phone for like ever! My hubby has never been keen on my name choices too. We also have had a girls name in our minds for years even before we conceived baby one. A first and middle name, it would feel weird if we never get our girl to fill that name space we talk about often. We love our little boy and hope to be blessed with many more littles to name!

52. Megan
    June 14, 2017 / 6:57 am

Our kiddos are Mason and Quinn. Mason was almost Henry or Nello. Quinn was almost Holland or Annabelle. We love naming things too. My husband jokes we have to get a puppy the next time I decide I need to name something! No more kiddos for us haha.

53. June 14, 2017 / 10:24 am

I could talk about baby names all day, so I loved this post and read every comment on here and on your Instagram! Love finding others who love unique names. My name is Jacy and people have always struggled with it, but I love having a unique name (versus my best friends: Ashley, Haley, Lauren, Jordan). My husband and I talk about kids but aren’t specifically planning yet, but I’ve had a baby names list on my phone since I was 16 (so 10 years now). Some of my favorites are Stella Lenore (Lenore is my middle name and blog name), Sienna Bay, and Beckham Jude (sadly Beckham is growing in popularity though). Other girl names I like are: Sloan, Lennie (short for Lenore), Remi, Chlo, Marit and Everly.
    Even though I just shared my girl names here, I don’t plan to tell anyone (even my parents) until after our baby is born. I love the idea of the name being a surprise, and I agree with some other commenters that people will be less likely to criticize when there is a cute baby in front of them.

54. Kasey
    June 14, 2017 / 1:33 pm

I love your name choices! My husband and I have always loved nicknames and named our girls by nickname first and then came up with a formal name. We have a Penelope who we call Poppy and an Olivia who we call Olive. My husband would love a boy, but Olive is only 6 weeks old so I need to wait a bit before we make that decision πŸ™‚ I love the name August (Gus) for a boy but also love Skipper/Skip. I’d love to hear more of your boy names on the list (or your top choice for a girl)!

55. Taylor
    June 14, 2017 / 2:17 pm

Like you, I also have a list on my iPhone from when I was about thirteen years old. I won’t be leaving any of my names on here though as I still have yet to have kids and I wouldn’t want anyone to steal them ;)…

However, I love your names and think they are absolutely darling (pardon the pun).

56. Tree
    June 14, 2017 / 11:39 pm

I have been obsessed with names since I was a little girl. On our family road trips, after my parents got a headache from listening to my sister and I sing pop songs at the top of our lungs, I would give them an even bigger headache by listing off my favourite names! We just had our first baby girl, and the only name my husband and I could agree on was Odeya. I had a last minute hesitation and considered Odette, but we went with Odeya. I get mixed reviews, but I like how you say just to be confident with our choice. I just hope she likes it πŸ™‚

57. Jill
    June 16, 2017 / 1:44 pm

I love this so much. Our names aren’t super wild, but it’s crazy to me that people voice such strong opinions! Our two year old is Amelia Wren and we were so bummed that Amelia was so popular by the time we had her. We loved the name since we were married six years ago. So when we had our second daughter, we had originally planned on naming her Penelope but were put off by the popularity. So we named her Bettye Jean Magnolia – Bettye and Jean after two very special women. We do get the occasional, “Bettye is short for Elizabeth.. right??” and I just smile and say, “Nope! Just Bettye!” It fits her perfectly. πŸ™‚ Thanks for sharing!! PS. My friend just had a Goldie and I LOVE that name!!

58. Katie
    June 16, 2017 / 5:50 pm

I love this post! Names are so big for me too and yes, I’ve had a list just like you! I add to it every now and again for future babes! My daughter’s name is Lennon Rose. Lennon is the only name my husband liked out of my top 3! (Actually Poppy is one of the three!) Rose is a family name and I decided that would be a middle name wayyyy before I was married! I am hearing Lennon be more popular girl name!

59. Rebekah
    June 16, 2017 / 7:01 pm

Your baby names are awesome. My daughter is Romy Bloom, and I have to admit, I got the name Bloom from your Goldie. I love nature and floral names and wanted to name my daughter Rosemary and call her Romy for a nickname. My husband liked Romy a lot but not Rosemary so we just named her Romy straight up and then added the Bloom to get some of that floral aspect in there.

60. June 17, 2017 / 12:26 am

We have a Holland, Clark, & Maverick. 3 boys. Also a little weird to some but we love them & get more compliments than not. If we ever get our girl you bet she will be our anabel which we picked out during our first pregnancy & lost in miscarriage before we ever knew the gender, so if there’s a sweet baby boy rejoicing in heaven named anabel, please forgive us πŸ˜‰ I feel just as you said with your skipper, never getting to use the name would be as something was missing from our family. You have a beautiful heart & such a story to tell.

• Chanelle Gunderson
      June 18, 2017 / 4:53 pm

My SO also likes the name Annabelle of some version of the name with different spelling. His mom and twin sisters all have the middle name Anne after their grandma, and his sisters both have the nicknames Krysta-bell and Kayla-bell.

61. Chanelle Gunderson
    June 18, 2017 / 4:49 pm

My SO and I have talked about baby names since day 1. Baby’s last name will be McArthur.

For a girl, I loved the name Noelle, but he said no. I also liked Holly, but again he said no. However for a girl, we’ve somewhat settled on Violet Alicia McArthur. Violet for his grandmother, Alicia for mine. Alicia Violet works too, and Ali is a cuter nickname than Vi to me.

As for boys, we have some that we like, but I have this feeling that we haven’t quite found it yet. We like James, after his best friend. We also like Jack, just because it’s a strong, solid name. However, Jackson has become waaay too popular which turns me off a bit. I like the name Atlas for a boy too, although it’s a bit out there. But I think there’s a perfect name out there if we ever have a little guy and we haven’t found it yet.

P.S. I love the name Poppy, that was on my shortlist too πŸ™‚

• Chanelle Gunderson
      June 18, 2017 / 5:21 pm

I also love Desmond for a boy, with Des or Dessy or Dezza (Australian) for nicknames. SO not on board yet but I’m working on it πŸ˜‰

62. June 18, 2017 / 5:16 pm

Those are the cutest names!!! My name is Marleynna (Mar-lay-na) but I’ve always been called Marley for short and when I first meet people they’re always like “were you named after Bob Marley?” Or “haha Marley and me”. I’ve learned to ignore them now hehe

63. June 26, 2017 / 8:13 am

I love the name Aletta, I think it is going to be the winner for us πŸ™‚

64. July 10, 2017 / 7:51 am

Our babyboy’s name is Otis, i live in Belgium so this is a name not often used in Belgium… I think it’s special if your child has a name that sounds a bit “foreign” but every name is special in his own way… Also, I really like your blog and your personal style!

65. Lauren
    July 21, 2017 / 12:38 pm

My sons name is Elliott Canyon – the first initials come from his two Great-Aunts, that passed before he was born, two women that are very important to my husband and I, and who we hope our son gets some of their strength and wisdom.

Canyon is specific to where we fell in love, and is our special place – Topanga Canyon in Los Angeles.

Your childrens names are beautiful – I had an Aunt Goldie (a nickname for Gloria), and she was a beautiful, incredible soul.

66. Clara Destiny

Hensley
    Addilyn
    Adley
    Luella

67. Rachel
    July 28, 2017 / 1:51 pm

Those are such sweet names. I love that Poppy’s name doesn’t have to have a meaning and that you just like it. I have always felt pressured to have meaning behind them.. my little girls name is Juniper. No meaning and I love it! my mother in law has told people to just call her “tree”.. so I understand the silly remarks people make haha We are pregnant again and I really love the names Copper Elliot for a boy and I am working on my husband for Birdie Pearl if it’s a girl (;

68. Debbie
    July 29, 2017 / 8:38 am

I, too, have had people express negativity toward the names I named my children. I love my children’s names! I named my first son, Joshua Nathaniel Eric. Joshua from the Bible means God of Salvation and Nathaniel means Gift of God. When I was pregnant with my first child, it was the first time I had read the entire Bible all of the way through so I wanted to give him a name from the old testament and the new testament and Eric is after my husband. Jeremy Christoph Sias for child number 2. Jeremy for it’s meaning and I only knew of one Jeremy. It means Exalted of the Lord. Christoph for my husband’s grandfather from Germany and Sias is my mom’s maiden name. Plus, I have a number theme going on 6,9 and 4. However, with my daughter, Hannah Adelaide Emma, it was 6, 8, 4. Hannah is Biblical and Adelaide and Emma are old fashioned and from my two great, great grandmothers!