Poppy These Days

Poppy lately is a fiery two and a half year old, bursting with opinions, personality, cuteness, and testing all the boundaries – learning what exactly she can get away with (not very much). I have really embraced and enjoyed this past year with my oldest babe. A year I didn’t know we would have as just us but I very intentionally took advantage of this time with my little buddy. You know in The Holiday when Cameron Diaz talks about her childhood and how and her parents called themselves The Three Amigos? That’s kind of what it felt like. It felt like we went through something all together. She left the baby stage and became more of a “kid” which has been fun. We all go for happy hour together on the regular, we sit and chat with her while she shovels in handfuls of ketchup. It’s the best. Of course we have a lot of very challenging days, she’s 2. But we have fun.

1. She asks everyday to watch “Blue Show” (Inside out), “Yellow Show” (Despicable Me 2) or “Basket Show” (Home). And completely melts down every time I say no.

2. She get’s a mini marshmallow every time she goes on the Potty, which is all the time now that she’s not wearing diapers. When will she stop asking for them? haha. And when we are out she is completely comfortable dropping her undies where ever we are and squatting.

3. She is really shy. It drives me crazy, but I was too.

4. She wears a backpack allll the time. Sleeps with it on. It’s already like having a 16 year old having to do backpack checks before bed every night, it’s surprising the things she’s stashing in there.

5. Regularly opens the back door just to yell to Sid “Go Away!”, She’s a real jerk.

6. She’s still under 25 lbs. Been wearing the same denim jacket since 4 months old.

7. Obsessed with “Girl Singing“. Always grabbing her guitar strumming and singing “I don’t know my nammmme”.

8. Only goes to Sunday School for the fishy crackers. And always saves a real stinker of a poop for story time, that’s when my number gets displayed on the screen to come get her…

9. Anytime I tell her not to do something

10. Still thinks Candy is spicy. Maybe because the only thing I let her try was a Hot Tamale. Muahah. I just want to eat my 5 cent candies in peace okay.

Thank you so much to my lovely photographer friend Elissa Crowe for these photos. She is so great at capturing candid natural moments, I don’t even remember her taking these photos while we were in the backyard with friends.

1. sarah booth
    July 12, 2016 / 10:54 pm

re: the holiday – *three musketeers aaactually. haha SORRY! its like my favorite movies ever. how lame am i? love these pics. so timesless and beautiful as always.

2. July 13, 2016 / 12:16 am

with my daughter we slowly rationed her off potty treats: at first she got one every time she used the potty, then only for number twos, and then only for going on the toilet vs the potty (she is really big for her age though and by the time she was fully potty trained she had basically outgrown the potty itself).

3. July 13, 2016 / 12:16 am

4. July 13, 2016 / 12:16 am

5. July 13, 2016 / 2:22 pm

These totally made me smile this morning! (especially the one about Sid! Poor baby haha!) Thank you for sharing these moments, they’re my favorite of your blog posts.

6. July 13, 2016 / 2:22 pm

7. July 13, 2016 / 2:22 pm

8. Auntie Megan
    July 13, 2016 / 11:52 pm

TYRA!!!

9. Ashley
    August 3, 2016 / 12:33 am

Hey Bethany! I love your blog and Instagram, but what I really like these days is following you on SnapChat! It is so nice to see some "real life" posts coming from a blogger. In one of your recent snaps about hiccuping (haha), your eyelashes were SO LONG! What mascara do you use? Or what mascara is your favorite? I’m on the hunt for a new one.
    Thanks for keeping things real 🙂