Resting

Lately I have really been teaching myself to rest. To just stop myself from trying to plan whats next or think up where God could be leading us. Since losing Goldie this summer our “plan” was shaken up. We thought we would be a family of 2 girls close together, be out of the baby phase soon and start travelling as a family. Obviously God had a different path for our family, and so it has taught me in a big way that we don’t know what lies ahead of us.

I find myself often reminding God that we are open to his plan, to lead us down his path, sort of expecting him to appear in my bedroom and tell us to move to Africa and sell everything we own or something drastic like that. As I was praying for this one night while driving home I had an overwhelming sense of the need to rest, to know that God has a plan. He knows we are willing to follow him and didn’t forget. He doesn’t need me to remind him, he needs me to rest, trust, and be still. I think something just as bold as moving across the world can be not making plans at all. Not obsessing over the month you hope to conceive, the home or job you hope to have in 5 years, but knowing that those things are all up for grabs. Not that I feel we should wander around aimlessly, I love setting goals and God asks us to be hard workers. But having our hearts in the right place can be a challenge, I’m working on laying in bed at night and feeling true rest, keeping my mind from racing around about all the things I try to control.

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

FAVOURITE WEATHERPROOF BOOTS

1. Megan Walter
    March 1, 2016 / 4:35 am

This was good for me to read – I need this reminder more. I’m definitely the planner/goal setter type and that can get in the way of resting in Gods plan and his grace.

On a totally different note, I’ve been meaning to ask what kind of editing you do to your photos! I’m sure a lot has to do with camera/lens, but I’d love to hear about your editing styles and filters (VSCO?)… 🙂

2. Lisa
    March 1, 2016 / 5:21 am

Love this post Bethany. Xo

3. March 1, 2016 / 7:13 pm

I love this. I needed this reminder today.

4. vandykekara@gmail.com
    March 3, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Such a beautiful post. A much needed sweet reminder for me, thank you!

5. vandykekara@gmail.com
    March 3, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Such a beautiful post. A much needed sweet reminder for me, thank you!

6. vandykekara@gmail.com
    March 3, 2016 / 6:53 pm

Such a beautiful post. A much needed sweet reminder for me, thank you!

7. Mal
    March 8, 2016 / 9:21 pm

perfect timing that I came across this post. Thanks for sharing 🙂

8. miasheufelt@gmail.com
    March 10, 2016 / 11:50 pm

Thank you for sharing these sweet and intimate thoughts and prayers with us. I needed a reminder like this today. <3

9. miasheufelt@gmail.com
    March 10, 2016 / 11:50 pm

10. miasheufelt@gmail.com
    March 10, 2016 / 11:50 pm

11. The B Roll Blog
    March 18, 2016 / 6:31 pm

This is my first time to your blog (i discovered it through instagram), and I felt compelled to comment because of this post. Your words ring so, so true for me, and I have had so many similar experiences lately. Learning to rest and trust is so huge, and I am nowhere near "learned", haha. But I really appreciate the reminder, and I wanted to say that I am loving your blog so much. 🙂

12. Melina
    April 6, 2016 / 6:54 pm

I loved reading this. Those are exactly my thoughts/problems and I need to learn to relax and let go. Thank you so much for the reminder and it is good to see that I’m not alone with this.

13. Lisan
    May 16, 2016 / 2:12 pm

I loved reading this, thank you so much for sharing. I need to be at peace and learn how to take things one day at a time. I recently had a miscarriage, so our plans are different than we thought it would be. Thank you for your encouragement. It’s all in Gods hand.