Bedtime Routines

A friend and I were chatting recently about bedtime routines, and it’s interesting when you chat to other moms you realize that everyone has their own way of doing things. I remember getting stressed out when I was a new(er) mom about following the routine and steps of the books and blogs I read, and although they are helpful it’s good to find out what works for you. Here is the bedtime routine we have fallen into, I’m interested to hear yours also.

Poppy’s bedtime is 7pm, always. I love spending time with my girl, but the few hours when she’s asleep before me is the best. Time for David and I to have a glass of wine, play a game, eat a quiet dinner. Even if she doesn’t seem sleepy I still start bedtime and she can chat or whine in her crib as long as she wants before sleeping.

BEDTIME

We start by saying goodnight to mumma or dada, whoever isn’t doing bedtime, so that she knows it’s time and doesn’t freak out when she gets to her room. We change into pajama’s, brush her teeth (which can sometimes take a lot of distracting – wandering around the house, asking her random questions… I’ve started listing everything she ate that day so that it motivates me to keep on brushing.), then she picks 3 books (the picking can often take longer than the reading), then it’s into her crib with a stuffy of choice, soother, and water bottle (I know, a bad habit for potty training!). Lights off, noise on, door shut.

We have done this routine for at least a year, and at first she always freaked out when I set her down in her crib but we were determined to have her learn how to go to bed on her own so we let her cry it out for a long time, going in when she was completely losing her sh*t to calm her down, and repeating until she was finally tired enough to give up. I’m so glad we endured those weeks of crying. Because now she just expects to be put in her room and come back to in the morning. Of course there are the random “Mummmmaa!!” calls in the middle of the night for a missing soother, sock, or sometimes a midnight banana. But I don’t mind, I actually kind of like getting to go back in and give her some cuddles.

NAPTIME

Same goes for nap time, minus the books and pajamas, but I always make her take a nap even when she’s not sleepy. Sometimes she just sings songs or pouts in her crib for an hour and a half, but that time in the middle of the day is good for both of us to recharge.

But I have also realized the importance (for Poppy at least) of putting her down at the right time. The time of day has changed a lot, sometimes it’s not about letting her get extra tired but find the sweet spot when she’s ready to rest.

1. February 17, 2016 / 10:28 pm

Our bedtime and nap routine has remained relatively consistent for the past year. My daughter is 18 months and we just transitioned her to a floor bed three months ago. So I will share what we have been doing since this most recent transition!

For naptime, she sleeps at (roughly) the same time each day. We start the routine at 1pm and I usually change her diaper, turn on her fan, close the blinds, tuck her in, and lay beside her for just a couple of minutes. Sometimes she falls asleep right away; other times, I will leave and then she will get out of bed to play for a little while or she will just stay in bed and whine/cry, but then fall asleep after a few minutes.

Bedtime is a little trickier. I need to change our routine a bit, but just haven’t done it yet– I’ll admit I don’t want to deal with the fuss/crying! But once she is asleep then it’s usually fine- she sleeps through the night. Her bedtime is also at 7!

So the routine is that we let her have some naked time 15 minutes prior to bed. Then we change pjs & diaper, turn on fan and close blinds, wash hands and brush teeth, she will say goodnight to dada, then I will nurse her. It doesn’t take her long to nurse, but sometimes it takes her awhile to fall asleep. She moves around so much and we have gotten into the habit of me laying beside her until she falls asleep! That’s the part of the routine that we need to change. I want to be able to just say "time for bed" and turn the lights out and leave, as you do with Poppy!

I don’t have many friends or other people that I talk with about motherhood, parenting, etc, so I’m often not sure of what others are doing. But it’s good to hear your routines! Hope you enjoyed hearing about ours 🙂

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      February 17, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Haha gotta love the naked time!

I’m impressed that she is in a floor bed at 18 months! I gotta say that I’m kind of dreading switching out of the crib.

Thanks for sharing 🙂

• Ashley Woodbeck
        February 17, 2016 / 11:54 pm

We weren’t sure how she would do with the floor bed, but she transitioned really well! At first, she mostly kept to the bed, but after getting used to it was able to move around and on/off the bed with ease. You could always try it out! It saves a lot of space, too 🙂

2. February 17, 2016 / 10:28 pm

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      February 17, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Haha gotta love the naked time!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

3. February 17, 2016 / 10:28 pm

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      February 17, 2016 / 10:36 pm

Haha gotta love the naked time!

Thanks for sharing 🙂

4. February 18, 2016 / 1:30 pm

My nine-month old goes down to sleep so super easy and I absolutely attribute that to the sleep "training" (which was basically letting her cry it out for a few weeks) we did with her when she was about five months old. She LOVES getting into her crib now for naps and nighttime! I have mom-friends who have babies/kids that won’t nap and I’m just like HOW do you do that?! Naps are sacred. 😉

Also, I feel like she got a new haircut?? It’s adorbs!

5. February 18, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Also, I feel like she got a new haircut?? It’s adorbs!

6. February 18, 2016 / 1:30 pm

Also, I feel like she got a new haircut?? It’s adorbs!

7. Anonymous
    February 21, 2016 / 12:39 am

Hi Bethany,
    My routine is pretty much identical to yours for my little boy who is 21months…. how old is Poppy now?
    Love your blog
    sharda

8. June 8, 2018 / 1:45 pm

It’s so wonderful you’ve found such a great, fun, and easy way to help Poppy get to sleep!

For lots of parents (and kids!) bedtime can be a tricky thing to navigate each night, but I’ve found that these tips have helped my whole family get a restful sleep, using only the best, natural methods.

Check them out here!