Weekly Menu – October

(yes… I have the printing of a 14 year old.)

Menu planning is something I have always tried to do weekly. When I don’t menu plan I feel like our eating is so unorganized, unhealthy, and more expensive. I love to know what other people are planning for meals when my creativity is running dry so I figured that I would share my weekly menu plans to help inspire some meals for you as well.

We don’t eat a lot of meat. We used to eat strictly vegan, but since I crave chicken burgers like none other when I’m pregnant I am a more casual vegan now. We eat animal products every once and a while but generally have a plant based diet. (I know that a meatless dinner doesn’t fly with a lot of husbands – But I would definitely recommend the Oh She Glows cookbook if you’re trying to ease out meat because most meals I make from there David or company can barely tell its vegan.)

I also try to plan my meals based on similar ingredients so that I’m not buy excess, and can use the left overs in the next meal.

I usually only plan 4 meals, because we always end up eating out/ordering in or going to someones house. So, here is whats on the menu for this week:

MONDAY
Crockpot Tortilla SoupTopped with Avocado, Cilantro & Corn Chips.

-I put this in the crockpot last week we had it for one dinner, and a few days of lunches and I put half of it into the freezer. Super easy, basically just dumping a bunch of cans into the crockpot.

TUESDAY
Homemade Yam Fries with Siracha Mayo & True Food Kale Salad

-We are obsessed… We eat this salad recipe at least 4 times a week. This is definitely a lighter meal. Some nights we eat lighter meals and then have snacks later while we play board games: popcorn, apples & caramel dip (This salted caramel sauce is da bomb), frozen cookie dough (seriously do yourself a favour and make these tonight).
-Siracha Mayo: Mix Mayo, Siracha & Ketchup to taste. mmm.

WEDNESDAY
Vegan Chickpea Chana Masala

-Super quick & easy. From my favourite cookbook Oh She Glows

THURSDAY
Portobello Fajitas

-Also from Oh She Glows.

BREAKFAST
Chia Seed Parfaits – Topped with Raspberries & Granola

-My favourite breakfast! I’m totally content eating the same thing for breakfast all week. I make enough to fill 7 or 8 jars layering chia with frozen raspberries on top and then just keep them in the fridge ready to go and wait to add granola before eating.

*This weekly menu planner was apart of a Mommy Mailbox parcel I received. It is made by Jack and Ella Paper.

1. October 19, 2015 / 10:16 pm

Great update!! Thanks for the inspiration to meal plan this week! I had a vague idea but now I’m motivated to actually sit down and "do the math." How does Poppy do with eating vegan and maintaining all of her necessary protein intake, etc.?
    thegraefs.blogspot.com

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:13 pm

Poppy isn’t the biggest fan of vegan proteins, so she eats a good amount of yogurt, cheese & eggs. Because she’s so petite i don’t want to risk her not getting what she needs.

• October 22, 2015 / 1:16 am

My daughter is petite also, so those protein sources you mentioned are her top 3 as well. Last question! Do you have any tips on making veggies more appealing? My daughter (almost 16 months) is so not into veggies, no matter what I do to disguise them 🙁

2. Tegan
    October 19, 2015 / 11:26 pm

I dont know why I haven’t thought of buying frozen raspberries for my chia pudding breakfast! I always do strawberries, but by the end of the week they’re bad… clever lady, i’m stealing that one! And have been on the hunt for a good tortilla soup recipe, whoop!

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:12 pm

It just came to me also, mostly just because it’s cheaper this time of year than buying cartons of fresh berries!

3. megan-isne@live.ca
    October 20, 2015 / 7:08 am

Mmm I’m hungry for those cookie dough balls! Going to try the salted caramel sauce too. I was just reminiscing today about when mom would buy store bought caramel apple dip for us, but also being judgy because it’s so bad for you. Looks like my problem is solved.

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:12 pm

I was going to reply "My mom did too!" But then I realized this is my sister Megan 😉 I was just thinking about that also. This sauce is the best, and its not so hard it breaks your apple slice.

4. megan-isne@live.ca
    October 20, 2015 / 7:08 am

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:12 pm

5. megan-isne@live.ca
    October 20, 2015 / 7:08 am

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:12 pm

6. becky_mat@hotmail.com
    October 20, 2015 / 4:48 pm

I love this! I go through phases where I am really great at doing meal planning and my husband and I eat great and feel good, and then BAM, somehow I get off track and things get unhealthy and expensive (um, Domino’s anyone?) sigh It’s great to have cookbooks and food blogs galore to sift through for my next latest, greatest meal idea but sometimes all I’m really needing and wanting is just the simple good stuff. So, this is great. Thanks for your inspiration and practicality – can you do this regularly, please? 🙂

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com

• thisonesforyoublog@gmail.com
      October 20, 2015 / 7:13 pm

haha don’t we all!
      I will definitely do my best to do this weekly 🙂

9. Steph
    October 23, 2015 / 2:18 am

I just made the Crockpot Tortilla Soup tonight. Delicious (and simple)! Thanks for the inspiration 🙂

10. October 23, 2015 / 7:42 pm

Love the ideas, specially the chia seed parfait!
    I love the plan itself! You did it or found it online? 🙂

11. October 23, 2015 / 7:42 pm

Love the ideas, specially the chia seed parfait!
    I love the plan itself! You did it or found it online? 🙂

12. October 23, 2015 / 7:42 pm

Love the ideas, specially the chia seed parfait!
    I love the plan itself! You did it or found it online? 🙂