reusable

Over the past six months I’ve been so aware how much waste we produce! It’s disgusting. Before I could never really be bothered to make the change, but I saw a video of baby turtles eating a plastic shopping bags that were floating in the ocean and it made me sick that that’s how we treat our beautiful earth. Here are just a few things I’ve done to try and make less waste.

-Keep a reusable bag at the back door. I would always, get to the till and think “crap! my bag.” But now I just keep it hanging on the door handle, and sometimes will leave my wallet in it so that I can’t forget.

-Stop buying ziplocks. Use containers and jars instead!

-Stop buying paper towel. I now keep a stack of rags in the kitchen cupboard for spills.

-If you have the option to composte… I keep a big container in my fridge where I put all my organic waste, I empty it once a week and I don’t have to worry about it stinking up the kitchen.

-Skip produce bags. Why do we need to put each individual item in its own plastic bag? (I use trader joe’s Fruit & Vegetable wash to clean off all the places it touches on its way home; the basket, conveyor belt, cashiers hands, reusable bag…)

Have any tips? I’d love to hear them!

1. megan-jane@live.ca
    January 5, 2013 / 7:40 pm

Sheena I'm curious if you find the cheese cloth bags work well? I've seen them before & thought about getting them, but they seem like a bit of an "investment", so I wanted to know how well they worked first!

I keep my recycle bin right beside the garbage & compost, so that way I put ALL paper or metal bits in recycling. It's easy to just throw out receipts or whatever, but they can easily be recycled!

2. megan-jane@live.ca
    January 5, 2013 / 7:40 pm

3. helloitssheena@gmail.com
    January 6, 2013 / 4:31 pm

I find the bags work just as well as plastic bags. I usually empty my produce out of them when I put my groceries away into the crisper drawers and cupboard, so they are more of a means to get my produce home. I wash them in the sink with dish soap and hang them to dry between uses. The hardest part is remembering them, so I just put them right into my grocery bag when they're dry 🙂

4. helloitssheena@gmail.com
    January 6, 2013 / 4:31 pm

5. January 6, 2013 / 9:25 pm

i just found your blog and i love it! i love the idea of reusable bags…. i need to get a cute one like yours and use it for shopping! xo

6. jlynaebennett@gmail.com
    January 7, 2013 / 6:00 am

I will definitely admit that I struggle with bringing my bags to the store as well. I try to keep at least one bag in my purse, but somehow I seem to still forget most of the time. The result of this is that I often try to squeeze as many items into my large purse as I can. Sometimes I get weird looks, but I think some people are catching on and still appreciate the effort. I also reuse plastic grocery bags to get the most use out of them from those times I do end up forgetting. Bags that I have accumulated from clothing stores are often sturdier and are better for some items because of their flat bottom. I use those mostly when I have to take the bus. Also, if you can find reusable bags at a thrift store, that's twice as much reusing!
    I do still use ziploc bags, but I wash them out and resuse them over and over.
    Over christmas I found many ways to reuse plastic containers and paper bags for wrapping gifts.

7. jlynaebennett@gmail.com
    January 7, 2013 / 6:00 am

I do still use ziploc bags, but I wash them out and resuse them over and over.

8. fraser
    January 14, 2013 / 6:26 pm

try putting the composte in the freezer. it helps with the smell.